Terms and Conditions

General Policy

Please note the cancellation policy before committing to a reservation. Please note that credit cards and cheques are not accepted.

Overnights stays up to 6 nights, a payment 10 days prior to your arrival is requested.  See bank details below.

In order for us to confirm a reservation for a period of 7 days or longer, a 25% deposit is required. The remaining 75% should be paid prior to your arrival. This can be done to our BOV Bank account:  BIC VALLMTMT,  IBAN MT78 VALL 2201 3000 0000 4002 5115 011 in favour of Verena Aebischer.

Check-in:   14:00. Check-in times outside of those specified must be confirmed with us prior to arrival.

Check-out: 11:00. We ask that you please vacate your room by 11.00am (11:00) on the morning of departure.

Please note that pets are not allowed.

Cancellation Policy

We are a small business, so cancellations can have a big impact on us, especially if we have turned away potential guests in favour of someone who has already booked and who then cancels. We do, however, appreciate that unforeseen circumstances can intervene, and we try to be as sympathetic and helpful as possible in such cases.

In the event of a cancellation up to 14 days prior to the scheduled date of arrival no charge will be made.

If you cancel your reservation within 14 days of the scheduled date of arrival a cancellation charge equivalent to the room(s) single night rate will be made.

Guests failing to arrive, without notification, may be responsible to a charge equivalent to the total reservation price.

We take all Bookings in good faith, as we are unable to judge reasons for change, cancellation or non-arrival, guests are reminded that no exceptions to the above conditions will be made and that any booking made with Refugio Tal Harruba for either accommodation or goods, services, meals or drinks that are pre booked (verbal or written) forms a legally binding contract. For this reason we advise that you take out a suitable insurance product to cover against unexpected costs such as cancellation fees. In addition, we may take legal action, through the Courts, to recover any outstanding debts.

Privacy Policy

We consider the privacy of our guests a serious responsibility. This policy declares how we will use and treat information we collect from and about you. This policy is an agreement that is legally binding. By using our website, you consent to the collection and use of information by us as specified below.


We will never:

• sell your information;

• use your information to market our lodging to you for future stays without requiring your „opt in“ and permitting your „opt out.“ To date, we have never performed such marketing;

• only collect the minimum of information as is customarily necessary to provide lodging;

• only share information about you when (a) required by law or (b) required by situations that demand immediate action that are to your clear benefit (i.e., „emergencies“).

Please be aware

• that you may book our lodging without using this website and if you do so you are only protected by the privacy policies of those companies providing the booking service;

• that changes to this policy will only be posted here on this privacy-policy webpage (we do not wish to invade your privacy by sending you emails about changes to the policy).

Legal Notice

Sole Trader
VAT Number 2490-3321
MTA HF/G/0129

Triq L. Emigranti, Nadur, Gozo, Malta


+356 79092584